A Trip to the ER

Two Thursdays ago [I wrote this post that day], while we were at dinner with our new friends, Butter went from being happy & having fun playing, to whining that his ear hurt. In fact, this is the best photo I got of him with his face painted.

spider-man facepaint

I’ll be perfectly honest; I was worried. He cried, and he almost never cries when something hurts. When he fell last summer & got stitches, he only cried until I calmed him down. He only asked for Tylenol once after his tooth was subsequently pulled. Apparently, he has a pain tolerance that rivals both M’s & mine.

So we went to the emergency room, after we came home & he got a bath. The whole way there, I asked him if he’d rather wait to see his doctor the next day. He was adamant about going to see a doctor right now. So, we got there, got registered, and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

After we’d been there an hour, someone announced that there was a three hour wait, but three people were being discharged, and then they were going to take back people based on wait time & severity of illness. I had just convinced him to go to see his doctor in the morning & we were getting ready to leave when we were called back to triage.

He was given a dose of Motrin while we were there, and later that night I found out he was 99.41% for weight for his age. All in all, we were there about two and a half hours. He definitely had an ear infection. We got numbing drops & an antibiotic & were sent on our way. When we got home, M & I asked him if he wanted to go to school the next day. First his said yes, then he said no. Then he decided he’d wait to see how he felt. He ended up sleeping until almost 9:30, so he didn’t go to school.

kid defies sleep
At this point, I was asking how on EARTH he was still awake & enjoying life.


Kid having fun in the hospital
And then he started goofing off.
medicine for the kid.
It was a LOT of antibiotic.

He finished with his meds on Sunday evening. Today at lunch, I asked him how he was feeling. He said, “Not too good,” and when I asked him how his ear felt, he said it hurt a little. He’d refused the numbing drops after the first dose he got in the emergency room, but he mentioned them at lunch. I think I’m going to take him back to the doctor just to get an idea of whether or not it’s cleared up.


One Reply to “A Trip to the ER”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge